We are re-opening our orthodontic practice after Covid-19
It is great news that we can start to re-open our orthodontic practice again after the Covid-19 restrictions. This re-opening is supported by the Irish Dental Council. The last 6 weeks have been an anxious time for all. Restrictions will start to ease but we will still need to continue being careful to protect our patients and our staff. To ensure that everyone knows what they are doing and what to expect when your orthodontist re-opens, we have put together some information for you have read through.
Our goals for re-opening are:
- to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our patients and staff
- allow extra time for appointments for enhanced disinfection
- full Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) for our staff
- air purification systems
- social distancing protocols
What to expect when my orthodontist re-opens after Covid-19:
- Cold/Flu/Covid symptoms: Please reschedule if you or anyone in your household has been sick in the last 2 weeks.
- Appointment times: Please come to your appointment on time and not before. Do not come to the practice if you don’t have an appointment scheduled.
- Cancel appointments if you cannot attend: Appointment times are precious. Please cancel them if for any reason you cannot attend so we can offer the appointment to someone else.
- Payments: Ideally, payments should be made on the day. The card machine is wiped after every use. Alternatively, payments can be taken over the phone.
- Hand disinfection station: All patients must use the alcohol disinfection gel as soon as you come in. Please wash your hands also before coming to your appointment.
- No touch: Ideally keep your arms folded when in the practice and try to not touch surfaces.
- Attend alone if possible: Please attend your appointments alone where possible. We can make appointments, take payments, etc. over the phone. Your orthodontist can phone mum or dad back after the appointment to discuss how your child is doing with their treatment or answer any of your questions. If it is not possible for very small patients to come alone, we would advise for the child to be accompanied by one parent only.
- Triage: We are currently triaging our patients to see who needs to be seen first. Please bear with us. It may take time for us to see you but we will do our best to get to everyone seen as quickly and as safely as we can.
- Less patients in the practice: We will book longer appointment for patients than needed. This will allow for enhanced cleaning and disinfection between patients and reduce patient to patient contact in waiting areas etc. This will mean we will see less patients then normal in a day so again please bear with us as we try to see you all.
- Pre-appointment screening call: You may get a phone call from our staff the day before your appointment asking a series of questions to ensure you are at a low risk of having Covid-19.
- Temperature check: We will check your temperature with a no-touch thermometer.
- Full PPE for staff: We might look different with all our PPE on but we are still the same underneath J
- Closure of bathroom facilities: Patients will not have access to the bathroom while at the practice.
- Ventilation: Windows will be open to ensure good ventilation
- Air purifiers: We have invested in air purifiers to clean the air continuously in the practice.
- Mouthwash: For certain procedures, we may ask you to do a pre-procedural mouthrinse. This is to reduce potential virus numbers in your oral cavity (mouth).
- Good tooth brushing: Please ensure that you brush your teeth thoroughly before coming to your appointment to reduce viral numbers in your oral cavity.
- Clear surfaces: You will notice that we have removed magazines etc. from the waiting area.
- Signs and barriers: You may notice signs for social distance guidance on the floors, doors etc. We have also fitted screens on the reception desk
- Sunglasses: We will ask you to bring sunglasses to your appointment to wear when having your brace adjusted.
- Pens:We are actively reducing paper in the office but please bring your own pen if you need to sign any documents.
- Limit baggage:Bring only what you need to the appointment.
- Post appointment/Covid Symptoms:if you develop symptoms of Covid within 48 hoursof your appointment, you must notify the practice immediately.
Thank you for your patience and understanding during this difficult time. We know how keen some of you are to getting back on course with your brace treatment, especially those who were due to have their braces removed. Don’t forget, we are keen to see you too and can’t wait to get back to the job we love – making people smile!
Your safety is our priority
Your safety and the safety of our staff is the most important thing to us. Everything we are doing is done to ensure this.
You don’t have to do anything. We will contact you to reschedule your appointment 🙂
Some more information
What to normally expect when you visit Navan Orthodontics in non-covid times https://navanorthodontics.ie/becoming-a-patient/what-to-expect/
Link to Roadmap for re-opening society and business https://www.gov.ie/en/news/58bc8b-taoiseach-announces-roadmap-for-reopening-society-and-business-and-u/